Tip Tuesday



JellyBean is 7, and will be 8 in July.  She says she can't read, but she can.  She has to stop guessing or assuming whats next and slow, down, and F O C U S.  That is definitely hard for her.  I have been told to just read to her, or to buy XYZ curriculum, it works great.  Our children's education is very important to us, but purchasing alot of curriculum to make us frustrated or to have to do so much prep is just not our style, and my generation certainly learned from just reading alot, I don't remember when it clicked for me, but I do know I grew up loving to read and still do, and I want that for all of our kids. 
  JellyBean is very, very abstract so when I saw this idea on Pinterest I knew she would love it.  You can purchase sight words already drawn on to help remember what they are, OR  I thought why not use the 3-4 sets we have and whatever word she has to keep sounding out over and over again till I DIE, let her draw something to help her remember the word? I have to ask her to think of something first or she will just go to town, and unless it helps her remember the word, there is no point in doing this.  So far she is doing great.  She is flying through the primers we got with the Christian Light Publication Learn To Read program, but the workbooks are a joke.  They take 1.5 hours to complete per day and its serious tears and dread, so we just read alot in our house, audio CDs in the car, read alouds for school, and reading at night. 

What out of the box tip have you used in your homeschool?

Comments

Popular Posts