Homemade Nut-Free Granola Bars


Our family loves granola bars.  My hubby has been packing lunch for years, and this is a staple.  Its also always been an easy snack to grab for the kids.

Once JellyBean developed her allergy to nuts it was obvious granola bars were not going to be a snack for her.  About 2 years ago I  read the back of a Special K box and found no peanuts or made on equipment that produced other nut products. WIN!  

After a few months of purchasing these I read the actual ingredients :

ROLLED OATS, CORN SYRUP, RICE FLOUR, SUGAR, FRUCTOSE, VEGETABLE OIL (PALM, PALM KERNEL AND PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM KERNEL OIL), CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF CHOCOLATE, DEXTROSE, SOLUBLE CORN FIBER, GLYCERIN, SORBITOL, SALT, COCOA POWDER, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, WHEY, SOY LECITHIN, SEA SALT, MOLASSES, NONFAT MILK, MALT EXTRACT, MIXED TOCOPHEROLS FOR FRESHNESS, BHT (PRESERVATIVE), YELLOW 5 LAKE, RED 40 LAKE, YELLOW 6 LAKE, BLUE 2 LAKE, WHEAT STARCH.

I could not continue to buy these just because they did not contain nuts. So I did a quick search on Pinterest and made a few different batches until we were all happy.  Little Man was so excited I was finally making a batch tonight he yelled "Tank you Mommy! Can I help too?"  Oh, he melts my heart when he's not screaming at me for fruit snacks, which I am pretty sure are made from the devil's kitchen.

The Lineup 

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 cups quick  oats 
  • 2 cup crispy rice cereal
  • 2 cups of plain Cheerios
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
WHAT I DO:In a large bowl, stir oats, rice cereal, and cheerios together. Set aside. In a small pot, melt butter, honey and brown sugar together over medium high heat until it comes to a bubble. Reduce the heat and cook 2 minutes and 15 seconds. Pour in vanilla and stir. Pour over dry ingredients and mix well to moisten all ingredients. Pour into lightly greased 9 by 13 and press out with spatula. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and press down lightly. Cool on a countertop to room temperature for two hours or until the chocolate chips are set.  


I forgot the vanilla in the picture, but not the recipe!  I use this recipe so much its taped to one of my cupboards.


Little Mans face says it all!

Comments

Popular Posts