Chinese New Year 2017

On Tuesday this week we learned about Chinese New Year. I had purchased a book from the local library sale and used that as a guide.

At the beginning of our homeschool journey I knew I always wanted to have Continent boxes, so everytime we learn about a country, I can pull out the continent box and we can discover everything we put in there.  

For Asia we have a panda book, some 3 part cards of the China Wall, Buddha-and matching TOOBS, and money from when my granddad was stationed overseas, printed picture of a traditional China child, and the scroll was made by JellyBean since our History lesson this week was about Confucius, a man that the Chinese celebrate.

I also have laminated printed maps inside the box so we can find the country inside the continent, and I also pull the globe down so we can see where the country is in relation to where we live {I have a push pin right over our town in Idaho so the girls can always see the difference}.
We also watched a quick youtube video on Chinese Characters.

All in all, this is our best way of learning. Looking at pictures in books of all the festivals, finding out where the country is, and really getting a hands on look at another culture and their beliefs.
I know some families don't believe in teaching their children other cultures or religions, and I would never want to go against someone else's convictions, but I do find it amazing to hear my kids say, "Oh,I would love to go see this place.  And if they don't know about Jesus, I could tell them." 









Comments

Popular Posts