Social Media

Facebook. Instagram. Pinterest. Twitter. YouTube.  I use the first 3, and the last, Twitter, I don't get so it just never happened.

What DID happen, is MySpace, then Facebook, then Pinterest, Instagram and YouTube.

I've been trying to figure out how to slow down.  I can keep an empty calendar, but then I say yes to everything that comes my way.  Then I bail out because of something stopping me (kids, sickness, car trouble, etc) or I am so overwhelmed, I just don't go.  I don't like the latter reason, becoming a flake is not something I am interested in, nor do I find appealing to others.

Lately I have felt a pull to quit Facebook.  I have deleted the app from my phone before, only to re-download it so I can look up whatever was so important at the time.  I am scrolling in the car while John drives, when its bedtime, when we watch family movies.  Its such a time sucker.  Not only that I see all these 'events' I feel like I need to go to, especially with all these opportunities while homeschooling my kids, but we make it to maybe 1/3 of them, and it feeds the 'flake' persona and I don't need that.  I don't need that unnecessary guilt of not making it to something I shouldn't have said I would go to anyway.

The less I know about what is going on or what others are doing and comparing it to what I should or shouldn't be doing, the more enriched my life will be.

As I have un-installed the app from my phone, I am praying and asking God to give me the self control to either delete it all together or to be able to check in casually, on my own time, without taking away from my family and my very limited quiet time that could be spent with God.

Could you pray with me?

Comments

Popular Posts