Book Review: A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Beckman

I'm really bad at reading books.  I like to start 3 or 4 and decide which one I am really into, be it fictional, historical, spiritual, a biography, or relate to homeschooling and parenting.

I started A Man Called Ove, and found it hilarious,  but stopped to read Uninvited by Lysa Terkeurst, which is a great book,  I highly recommend that one as well. 

My mom asked me about the book since she is the one who let me borrow it, and I had forgotten.  I wish I had more time to read {read: I wish I was better at grabbing my books instead of my phone}. 
 
This week our oldest is at church camp and although she is my independent one and my helpful one {they all are, but being almost 12, she can handle more}, it's been so quiet and I've been given an assignment by myself and my husband. Say No to everything. No obligations. No planning. It's like walking around with broken arms for someone who is a planner like myself, however,  the last 2 mornings have been the first mornings since May that I have been able to enjoy our peaceful home since we had no plans to be anywhere or have anyone over.  I have a tendency to overcommit and say yes to everything,  I don't want to disappoint anyone or make things difficult. However,  I am tired, frazzled,  and having horrible headaches,  so rest this week it is!

As we sat with juice, blankies,  coffee,  bibles,  and then tv, we talked about our day. I suggested a place to go or stay home, and Jellybean offered a place or to stay home,  but 'whatever you want Mom'.  Always willing to work it out {unless it's her sister} and knowing where we were going I could join in the play and sit back and watch, and READ. 

And I did, and finished this book.  I loved this book.  So funny,  so moving, so intriguing, so unpredictable. Of course I was moved to tears, and this is no fun in public,  at a play place.  Children and moms alike were looking at me like I was having a breakdown! 

1.  Who would you recommend this book to and why?

I would recommend this book to anyone who isn't looking for anything too serious, but a good laugh following a grumpy man who is trying to figure out life after he has lost his wife.  He is constantly being interrupted by his neighbors and the way it was written with bits and pieces of the background and then bam, the author would lay it all out and it would keep me wondering the next day...
 I would laugh out loud at night reading this because some of the things he says are abrasive and I could see my husband saying these things, or acting or thinking the same way.

I highly recommend this book and I highly recommend saying no to things.  Listen to your body, your husband's, your mom's, your friends, and pray to God for the strength to carve out time in a world where chaos is celebrated. 

I would love to hear what you thought about this book or what you are reading this summer!

Comments

Popular Posts