Cabin

Cabin. That one word brings a flood of memories from my childhood.  My brothers and I were so lucky to be able to have one. And when I tell my kids where our 'original' cabin started they feel sorry for us.  You should see their grandparents RV.  I think its worth more than our house.

Our 'original' cabin was a trailer with a roof over it.  Outdoor plumbing and all.  I have vivid memories of hikes, running to our grandmas cabin just a trail through the woods from ours to theirs where pancakes were waiting for us in whatever shape or letter we asked.  I have memories of family campfires at night with cousins and people melting their shoes on the fire ring, the scary walk back to our cabin in the night, the Mickey Mouse light, playing monopoly, listening to stories on the radio and walking down to the river and finding clams.  I remember waking my mom up at night to take me outside to the outhouse, falling down a mountain into stinging needle and my grandad spraying something to clean it, yet it burned worse than before.  I remember mice poop and my mom less than thrilled she was sharing her kitchen with critters.  I remember seeing my first pack rat caught in a live trap.  I remember building a huge pit in the ground and my friend being attacked by red ants.  I had never been bit by one but I was terrified my whole life from her screams. When I hear an old Honda 90 and 70 I feel the pain on my calf where my brother and I tipped over and the muffler burned my leg.  I remember the itchy feeling from sitting on the fiberglass chairs by our campfire, but most of all is the smell.  I have camped many places in my life, not as much as some, more than others, but there is a smell in those woods, just THOSE woods that are refreshing to me.

I read somewhere {my memory ain't that good} where Ansel Adams who suffered from Spanish Influenza was healed by the Sierra Mountains.  I can relate to the refreshing feeling I get, and the energy I get from the air.  The pine needles, the river, the creek, the breeze on the top of the mountains when I hike with my girls.  I might not be healed from a horrible flu virus, but I am physically, emotionally, and spiritually refreshed after some time in these particular woods.

I enjoy sharing the memories of my childhood with my kids.  They now get to enjoy the Cabin.  The Cabin is across the river and was originally built my maternal grandparents Paul and Evelyn. They loved these woods very much.  My grandma passed away at a young age, so most of my memories are with and of my grandad.  He loved his 3wheeler and his grandkids, my brother being his first its great to see photos of the two at the original Cabin.  In the late 80's or early 90's {my middle brother could probably give you the date and time this went down,but not this lady} my grandad decided to sell this property to my parents.   I have memories of family coming for the big event- to pull the trailer out of the cabin that was used as half of the structure and we would built it to be enclosed and build a loft on the top of that.  Lots of years of working on the weekends and its beautiful.  As a kid you aren't involved in the details, you are just up doing what they tell you to do-bring the spackle, the tools, make the food, get out of the way and it was great.  Now that I am an adult and experiencing our own home improvements with the decisions, the cost, life continues with its events and things are put off, its crazy.  I don't know how my parents did it since they did a lot of the work with 3 kids in tow. Granted I was 10 or so, not a toddler like we have now.

I loved my childhood, camping in our Jayco pop up trailer and our trailer with the outhouse and upgrading to the cabin.  We now have a pop up trailer and get to use the Cabin and I just hope my kids are getting some amazing memories like I have and can feel the refreshing air that the mountains have to offer.






Love the photos of the trees.  Peanut took them, she talks about the fresh air as much as I do.

Comments

Popular Posts