No Path Is Ever Wasted {Ponderosa State Park} Part 1


We teach children, or even as adults, we believe that there is the pathway of life and you come to forks in the road and you have to choose.  One way is good, the other is bad, which one will you take?

I don't feel that is always fair.  If one way shows risk and failure,  the other a beach with a hammock and we choose the riskier one, are we a bad person, a failure ourselves?

I am listening to a book about ADD and the distractions of life.  In one chapter the author talks about how some personalities look for more risk, more adventure.  So if one were to take the path that was bumpier, harder, riskier, is it wrong in the sense of needing reprimanded or feel guilt and shame?


I ponder these questions after hiking alone {not truly alone, if you have ever been to Ponderosa State Park in McCall, Idaho, you know there are tons of people enjoying this park each and everyday} as I was looking at my downloaded map of the trails, truly thankful for the help because the trails criss cross with no markings and inter loop with multiple hiking trails, bike trails, the main road, etc. 
I wanted to get to the end of the peninsula but had told my husband I would be back in an hour, I knew I was running out of time and so I was moving quickly, trying to see as much beauty as I could before I returned to camp.

As I was enjoying my peaceful walk I realized I was on the part of the loop that circled back to the trail and then over and then up. I was annoyed, grumbling that the path was pointless, as I was telling myself and believing I was really good at choosing wrong ways or wasn't good at directions at all , you know, those great conversations you have to lift yourself up.  Oi. Not only those thoughts, but pondering life in general, as in how we homeschool, parent, and are we doing well?


Then I turn a corner and a deer is standing right in front of me, my camera is zoomed in - in the above photo, but she was about 5 yards in front me, best guess.  I could use practice with maps and measurements. However, what I excel at, is enjoying God's beauty.  And this was a breathtaking moment as she wondered around me and I videoed her eating, you could hear her teeth chomping and she would stop and stare at me.  It was such a beautiful moment with no one else around.  As I watched her leave I looked around and wondered do I just go over this hill, continue to double back since I wasted my time taking this one anyway and the sweetest, lowest, quietest voice whispers, "No Path Is Ever Wasted."  I stood there with chills and said "I got it."  

The rest of my hike and day I wore a silly, stupid grin.  When you hear from God, its quiet, its simple and yet so profound.  He wasn't just telling me to quit whining or buying into my negative voice, but that trail not only lead me to see that beautiful doe, but to Him. Maybe it didn't make sense to go on that loop to others but I am so thankful I did. 

All of the paths we take in life include risk and possibly failure.  And the next one we take?  Same thing.  Risk and more failure.  If we stopped telling ourselves we were failures, or bad at something, we could hear more of God's voice and His promises, His presence. Each path is with God, He doesn't stand at the fork and wave.  I do feel a disclaimer here, like, if you are choosing to commit crimes, break the commandments, or hurt people, you do not have Gods blessings in those actions, but He is always waiting for you to come to Him, confess, He forgives and will guide you back to a better path for you, one that could have some risk, but not destruction.  Much scripture tells you that paths are filled with darkness or blocked, use these as signs as a way of saying,  DO NOT ENTER.

Job 19:8 says "He has walled up my way so that I cannot pass, And He has put darkness on my paths."

I know God led me on this adventure that day so I could be with Him and understand Him even more.  Praying daily, reading devotions, writing scripture are a few ways I personally spend time with Him, and I am perfect at try to remember to pray to Him for any and all decisions I need to make.  That way I know He is blessing my paths before I take them, risk, failures, loops, backtracks, and all.  He doesn't lay them smooth so its easy, but He is most definitely beside me.  I prayed that morning He would keep me safe and He did.


Proverbs 16:9 "The mind of a man plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps."

If only I could have remembered all these lessons the very next day when I hiked with the kids, my husband, and mom and we ended up on the other side of the lake and 4 miles from camp...Part 2 coming up...





















Comments

Popular Posts